EPN Field Trip - July 9, 2019
Co-hosted with the Environmental Education Council of Ohio, Denison University, and the Granville Exempted Village School District
This EPN Field Trip, hosted at Granville High School, connects high school teachers and environmental professionals statewide. This program will take the form of an educational and networking event to introduce Ohio high school teachers to careers in environmental and agricultural science.
Three sites will be featured during this tour: Granville High School’s sustainable garden, Denison University’s solar array and pollinator site, and the Granville Land Lab, a collaborative outdoor educational facility for the Granville Exempted School District, Denison University, and surrounding school districts of Licking County.
Mr. Jim Reding (North American Association for Environmental Education’s K-12 Educator of the Year) and his partners at Denison University and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are highly recognized for their environmental science curriculum and strategies to engage students in hands-on learning activities on a variety of agricultural and renewable energy projects.
The EPN is coordinating this event with the Environmental Education Council of Ohio, Denison University, and the Granville Exempted Village School District. The overarching goal of this program is to strengthen relationships and connections by linking pathways into environmental careers and providing relevant and accessible resources to educators and professionals.
Both breakfast and lunch meals will be served from the Granville High School cafeteria, and will include networking features that will connect teachers with environmental and agricultural professionals based upon their Ohio Environmental Protection Agency-based environmental education region.
Participating teachers and educators can receive continuing education credits through this program.
- Jim Reding - AP Environmental Science Teacher, Granville High School
- Jeremy King - Director of Sustainability, Denison University
- Brent Sodergren - Fish and Wildlife Biologist, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Geoffrey Smith, PhD - Professor of Biology, Denison University
- Jessica Rettig, PhD - Associate Professor of Biology and Anderson Endowment Director, Denison University
- Brenda Metcalf - Executive Director, Environmental Education Council of Ohio
- Additional tour guide instructors include Denison University Faculty and Granville High School student alumni
Examples of collaborations for environmental curriculum and career pathways will be featured during a panel conversation on fundraising and coalition building for experiential environmental education facilitated by Nicole Jackson, EPN Program Coordinator.
COST: $20 (includes breakfast and lunch); Student registration is FREE